Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Today I'm thankful for family photos. A two-dimensional piece of photo paper can nearly embody a body. The light & shadows, the expression, the environment, the hairstyles, the clothing styles all leave clues about the life held within a frame or an album. Photographs (and now videography) are vessels that bottle time: youth, the milestones, the everydays. For me, I will study an old photo for years, looking for a connection, a resemblance, hoping that I understand what needs to be understood from the subject.

I especially love the family photos taken during the season where the kids are shocks of freckles & energy and the parents, God bless 'em, are mildly disheveled, holding a baby in a lap and giving the kind of smile where you know they're thinking, "If there are bunny ears behind me, there's going to be big trouble after we get to the car!"

I hope you're taking pictures this summer, and I hope the usual picture taker is getting in some of those shots, too.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: