Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Today I'm thankful for familiarity. Don't you love it when you know something? When your really "get" another person or an idea or a place? Or when they "get" you? Like when you meet a brand new friend that you've known forever. Or how about when you meet up with an old friend, and you can pick up where you left off? I'm thankful for those kindred spirits.

I'm thankful for homecomings and family recipes and that which is ingrained in our very fiber, like breathing and sleeping. I'm thankful for compassion, a virtue rooted in familiarity and earned with empathy. I'm thankful for skills that magically come back, like riding a bicycle. I'm thankful for that relieved feeling of walking in the door from a long trip away. I'm thankful for the moments in which we know what we're doing because we had the courage to do it before, kind of like planning our Twilight Walk.

We will meet again my friend,
A hundred years from today
Far away from where we lived
And where we used to play.

We will know each others' eyes
And wonder where we met
Your laugh will sound familiar
Your heart, I won't forget.

We will meet, I'm sure of this,
But let's not wait till then...
Let's take a walk beneath the stars
And share this world again.

Ron Atchison


What are you thankful for today?

No comments: