Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Meet the artists, #5.

Last week, I went by the home of MJ Rigby and his family to pick up his fantastic donation to the art auction. What a treat! Not only did he contribute a fabulous piece to the event, but I was lucky enough to meet his lovely wife and two darling sons. From the moment I met MJ, I could tell that not only is he a riveting artist, but a devoted dad as well.



His acrylic color studies on glass are some of my favs--adds such vibrant conversation to any room. His architecture has been profiled on HGTV, and you can see an MJ Rigby installation in K.C. at JP's Wine Bar and pieces at the Leopold Gallery.




Kansas City artist Anne Garney has also donated a piece of her work to the auction. So thankful to have her vivid Fauves artwork. "The Fauves, a group of French artists in the early 1900s, painted with brilliant, luminous colors expressing a joyful passion for life."



From her site: In every city, I visit their Art Museums and Galleries. I love to see the paintings of the Impressionists and the Fauves. The Fauves, a group of French artists in the early 1900s, painted with brilliant, luminous colors expressing a joyful passion for life. My favorite artists from the Fauve movement include Andre Derain, Maurice Vlaminck, and Henri Matisse. When I was in the Mediterranean in 1999, I specifically took a train and boat to Saint Tropez to see the Musee de l'Annociade which has a large collection of Fauve paintings. It was wonderful to see. Of the Impressionists, I admire Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin, each having a unique use of color and expressive style. Lately, I've been studying the Expressionists and have enjoyed the paintings of Gabrielle Munter, Ernst Kirchner, August Macke and the early Wassily Kandinsky paintings.





Through our friend Kelly, we know of the talented Jeremy Collins. It was through Jeremy's blog that we learned of the Moore family in Liberty, MO, and their daughter Marley, who is currently fighting a valiant battle against a brain tumor.



Jeremy has a wonderful way of mixing shadows and color, gradient and hard lines.




And he obviously has a generous spirit to volunteer his work in order to spare children from brain cancer.

Thank you, dear artists. We are forever grateful.

No comments: