Thursday, October 1, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful for a second wind. You know that moment when you just don't think you can go on, when you think you're spent, when you've given everything you have, when you're too exhausted to blink, when you can't see the finish line, when you're panting for a breath and your muscles are not carrying you but laughing at you? And then suddenly, a small amount of gusto returns, like in the movie Mr. Mom when "Chariots of Fire" begins.

I'm thankful for the grace that carries us through our own shortcomings, for the split-second decisions that whisper, "Don't give up." I'm thankful for the comforting lift that comes from a nice cup of coffee. I'm thankful for the decadent dessert called tiramisu, which in Italian literally means "pick me up." I'm thankful for that Footprints poem. I'm thankful for elevators and escalators. I'm thankful for friendships that weave safety nets that allows us bounce upward when we fall from our tightropes.

I'm especially thankful for the moments when the wind is at our backs pushing us to the finish line, like divine inertia. So good to lean once in a while.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: