Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Well, my dear friend Megan called me a bit ago as she trekked southwest and asked me to be a guest blogger today. I'm not going to lie, my first reaction was, "NO WAY!" What a lot of pressure this is! My friend Megan is quite possibly one of the most talented writers ever. She can take a pile of words and bend them ever so gently into a wonderful group of phrases. I'm not so gifted this way, but I'll give it a whirl.

So, I sit here trying to pinpoint exactly what I'm thankful for...it's simply an impossible task. I am so blessed. I have healthy children, a husband who adores me, friends I've known literally since birth and new friends who I love dearly, both of whom are always there, talents and hobbies that bring me joy and a deep, abiding faith that gets me through all of life's ups and downs. I am blessed tenfold in my involvement with the Kyrie Foundation. My life has taken many twists and turns, and I fully believe that they all led me to Kyrie and her legacy. The friends I've made, the people I've met, the experiences I've had and the lessons I've learned in the last year and a half overwhelm and astound me. I have learned that you don't take moments or people for granted, giving and "doing good" are SO much better than getting and having good done for you. And most importantly, just like a little guy named David and a big 'ol guy named Goliath, when faced with a giant, you whirl a big 'ol stone at it. You don't just stand there trembling, scared and feeling sorry for yourself. You get up and let that giant know that deep down, inside your very being lies a giant much bigger that he. That's what the Kyrie Foundation is all about. We're whirling that stone in the form of a research grant. We are standing up to the giant that is named Pediatric Brain Cancer. So, many of you have helped us. So many of you have prayed, given of your time and money, sent words of encouragement, and joined our team of volunteers.

This weekend, we ask you to again stand with us. Join us at the 1st Annual Kyrie Foundation Twilight Walk. Come with your heart open and be blessed. The weatherman promises a gorgeous Kansas evening, the kind that makes you proud to call the plains home. Stand with us, that's all we ask. I think that when you do, you too will find yourself so abundantly blessed that you will find it hard to pinpoint just one blessing among many.

Big Love,
Melissa

3 comments:

The Fisher Family said...

WOW! What a great post! I think we have another talented writer! Can't wait to see everyone this Sat.

Coach's Wife said...

Melissa...you are amazing. That was beautiful and so very true. Your words come from your heart, which is always in the right place. You are so blessed to know the true gift of giving. Whether it be giving your time, your money, your prayers...giving is the true gift. There is no feeling like that of knowing you are giving whatever you can to someone in need. If we are all open to receiving the gifts that are so generously given, we will truly be fulfilled. Saturday night will be a night of true emotion...true committment...and true giving. Thank you Megan, Melissa and Jordan and Lacie for giving me something to be thankful for. I am forever thankful for the friendships that have been formed, the blessings that have been brought to my attention, and for the touches from God in my life. Go Kyrie Go!!!

goldenlion727 said...

Melissa you did great! I am Thankful for this uplifting blog. I just started to leave comments, this whole blogging thing in new to me. I am thankful that I can walk with my friends and family for this wonderful event. Those who know me, sorry you might hear this all the time, those who don't, I was hit by a car a little over 4 years ago and not only should I not be able to walk, I should not be alive. So not only today but everyday I am thankful!
Blessings,
~Kim